Thursday, February 5, 2009

Literacy


The definition of literacy – where to begin – let’s begin with the Merriam-Webster Dictionary’s definition of literacy; to be able to read and write (how simplistic is that definition!). Considering the course readings that I have completed so far for Issues in Literacy for Diverse Learners, literacy is complex and dynamic in nature and is much more than just the ability to read and write. Moreover there seems to be multiple layers to literacy which are all intricately interconnected. Of course being able to read and write is part of the definition of literacy; however, it seems to be only small component. Not only is a person literate in their native language – which is the language of their family/heritage – they also need to be literate in the formal language of their country, including social and technical discourses.

In “Looking Out Across Columbus: What We Mean by ‘Multiple Literacies’” by David Bloome and Patricia Enciso, they discuss the multiple literacies that are found across Columbus Ohio. Interestingly these concepts in Bloome and Enciso’s article are universal; the multiple literacies that are found in Columbus Ohio occur in other areas of the United States. And students learn these literacies through experience also from teachers, parents, friends, etc… and they continually spend their days “code-switching” between these discourses so to effectively move through the society in which they live.

Literacy is dynamic and ever changing so much so that we “code-switch” between literacies every day of our lives. For instance, when I am in a college class I use a different discourse than when I am at work at the Veterinary Hospital – It’s similar but different because there is a different audience. Furthermore, the discourses used in the above example are definitely different from the discourse I use at home (I’m from a working class family) – if I spoke the way that I talk in my college classes to my mother, she would tell me that I was talking down to her. My mother is a very intelligent women and hard working, however, very prideful – which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

As a teacher, I never want to make my students feel that I am talking down to them as if they don’t have intelligence; because everyone has the ability to learn and I have more to learn from my students. Furthermore, I realize that my style of teaching is going to be a conglomeration of many teaching styles so to maximize effectiveness. Another important concept to note about literacy is that “standard English” is just the accepted discourse in the United States; meaning that it’s not a superior language.

No comments:

Post a Comment